Advanced Writing Workshops (Online) 2021-2022
(Online Learning creative writing workshops. Monthly from October 2021 to July 2022)
This higher-level course has been designed for writers who have completed either the Creative Writing Programme, an undergraduate or a masters programme in creative writing, or who have work in progress and can show they are capable of working at this advanced level.
The aim of this course is:
- to provide a forum for writers committed to finishing novels or collections of short stories and who are looking for a critical and supportive audience for their work in progress.
- to act as a place where writers can meet regularly to discuss the creative process, share their enthusiasm for literature, swap information on publishing and inspire and energise each other.
The move to online learning
The technology is now available for us to move confidently into online learning. Video conferencing allows us to maintain the interactive element that replicates the experience of face to face sessions. To join your online class all you have to do is click on the link on your course page and the online classroom opens up. We are also excited at the prospect of working with writers from more diverse backgrounds both geographically and culturally. In the week before the beginning of your course you will be invited to attend a Zoom familiarisation session if you have not taken an online course before.
Use of email and computers
It is now a standard requirement that writers on writing programmes use computers for communication and the production of work. Writers should ensure that they have access to a desktop computer with a video camera and good internet connection.
Every month your group will meet to:
- workshop work in progress and discuss aspects of writing technique.
- the three-hour session will consist of group workshops, with three members submitting 5,000 words for constructive feedback each month.
- the focus of the workshops will be on critiquing and discussing work in progress, particularly on the coherence and integrity of plot, structure and characterisation.
- as well as the opportunity to workshop longer pieces of work you will also have the opportunity to submit three extracts of 2,000 words of work in progress directly to your tutor for feedback and guidance.
Your tutor may, from time to time, introduce practical exercises on aspects of technique that have been discussed during the workshopping process.
You will be encouraged to be supportive and critical readers of each other’s work.
You will be able to share and submit work, exchange information about books and events and raise questions about writing technique with other writers in the group through the interactive webpage for the course on the Creative Writing Programme website
One year in monthly sessions (3 hours), starting in October 2021
Sundays 10am – 1pm
10 Oct, 14 Nov, 12 Dec, 9 Jan, 13 Feb, 13 Mar, 10 Apr, 8 May, 12 Jun, 10 July
Alumni of Creative Writing Programme, or writers who have completed an undergraduate or postgraduate programme of study in creative writing, or have had fiction published, or can show evidence that they have work in progress and that they are capable of working at this level. Writers will need to submit a 2000-word extract from work in progress (with a short synopsis where necessary), along with a covering letter that identifies relevant experience of working in writing groups, lists any publications and offers a brief outline of their writing project.
This information should be emailed or sent to the Programme Director (Subject line: Application for Advanced Writing Workshop) at: email@example.com
£400 per annum.
International students, please note, fees must be paid in GB pounds
If you have a finished manuscript by Publishing Day (May 2022) that you are seeking representation for you will have an opportunity to discuss your work with publishing professionals on Publishing Day. The additional fee for script consultation is £50
You will be sent a link to our enrolment page after your application to the Workshop has been processed